Wednesday, November 4, 2009

0001-Popeye Toy Turnaround

Difficult, is the least I could say.


  1. I have a question: I've seen on many pages that people draw these toys, and Preston Blair's models, among other characters and then they want to overlap their drawings to the original picture/drawing just to see how wrong they did.

    I don't know why animators should be so hard with themselves. I mean, why is there such a need to make exactly the same copies if what we do is study the proportions?

    For instance, the position of an arm may be wrong, the way a leg has been bent could be a little bit too much or less than the original drawing or picture. But I really don't understand how we can learn by making mostly exact copies from other works.

    I study animation. Fortunately, I have almost no problem in matching the original drawings or excercising with Preston Blair cartoons, but I do have problems in creating good-looking characters.

    I hope you could explain to me. Best regards!

  2. By analyzing what you did wrong when copying a great drawing, you learn how not to make the same mistakes over and over. You rid yourself of a lot of bad drawing habits fairly quickly. You copy now and sooner or later your own drawing capabilities will improve. Drawing is an evolutionary art, you should never stop learning.